Monday, May 5, 2008

SoFoBoMo wrapup part 1, back to the beginning

Mike
(Photo: "Mike" From a promo photo shoot for one of my bands)

I've completed my SoFoBoMo book. I did it even though I had the worst Flu I have ever had in my life! I may have finished the book, but I did not get a chance to blog about it much at the time. So I will roll back and blog about it a little before I move on to my next project.

To begin from the beginning then... My interest in Photography has lead to an interest in The History of Photography, which has lead to an interest in Art history which has lead to ... etc etc etc... Now I cant help it, I'm obsessed with the visual arts.

I decided to make SOFoBoMo a learning experience as well. I picked a subject I knew little about, but found fascinating, and used SoFoBoMo as an excuse to research and learn more about it.

I first heard about the Rodin sculpture garden from my friend Kenny, he used some photos he took there for an album cover. While watching the Gallery Channel I ran across a fascinating biography of Rodin put the two together, I realized I was sitting on (near) the third largest collection of pieces by this master in the world.

The third factor that lead to selecting this subject was happenstance, I had to deliver of a performance contract to a client at Stanford. While there I took a walk around campus with my camera to see what I could see. I walked into the The Burghers of Calais and fell in love with these bronzes as a photographic subject.

Next entry "Why do I need to talk about gear?" or "Why I love to talk about gear" ... or something similar... :)

No comments: